The Systems Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all networked software and associated operating systems. The Sr. Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborate with network support and management staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Work with CIO to define business requirements and systems goals to identify and resolve business systems issues.
Acquisition and Deployment
- Design and deploy new applications and enhancements to existing applications, software, and operating systems.
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions.
- Conduct research on software and systems products to justify recommendations and to support purchasing efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure system-related products and services.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems.
- Propose and create system design models, specifications, diagrams, and charts to provide direction to system programmers and development teams.
- Design and perform server and security audits, system backup procedures, and other recovery processes in accordance with the company’s disaster recovery and business continuity strategies.
- Integrate servers, including database, e-mail, print, and backup servers and their associated software into enterprise systems.
- Ensure system connectivity of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to system configuration, mapping, processes, and service records.
- Ensure compatibility and interoperability of in-house computing systems.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Monitor and test system performance; prepare and deliver system performance statistics and reports.
- Provide orientation and training to end-users and engineering staff for all modified and new systems.
What you need to have
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Ability to engage, train and align engineering staff with department goals and initiatives is a must.
- Provide on-call and off-hours support as needed.
Prior experience & qualifications
- Accreditation from a reputable school and/or [5-7] years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in MCP, MCSE are a plus.
This opportunity requires fluency in
Medical benefits offered. Paid leave offered. Full time, permanent position with Goodwill NYNJ at the Astoria headquarters location.
- Posted 12/6/2017
- 3153 views